Since smartphones and computers have become a very important part of our lives, gaming apps and websites have been gaining popularity among people of all ages and have become a popular new channel to meet new friends online.
However, like in any type of interaction, there are some guidelines you should take into account before trusting an unknown person or making new friends through online video games. Here we give you some precautions to take when meeting new people online while playing games.
– Create exclusive emails: Online video games require the user to create an account. Many of them even allow access via social networks, which is a big mistake. It is recommended to create an entirely new email, as well as not to include personal information such as names, dates of birth, place of residence, etc.
– Do not link credit or debit cards: Many video games require payments. To do this, instead of linking credit or debit cards, it is advisable to use a virtual wallet. For example, PayPal. Also, it must be linked to an exclusive account (not yours). Another option is to buy cards with money to spend in specific video game ecosystems.
– Do not manipulate the consoles: It is a very common practice. But this voids the warranty and safety of the device by design.
– Connect only to known networks: A cybersecurity recommendation that goes beyond simple video games. Never connect to unknown public networks, as user privacy may be compromised.
– Always disconnect: It is also recommended to delete temporary files, browsing history and cookies.
– Download video games in official stores: If this practice is not followed, it could lead to malware infection.
– Limit the use of chats: In video games, especially those online, the user can be part of a community. Players can be in touch via chats, audio and video. But it can lead to cases of scam, cyberbullying or fraud. Therefore, it is strictly necessary to be careful when conversing with strangers, as well as not to disclose personal information via these forums.
– Do not click on links: Another basic cybersecurity recommendation. In the world of video games, it is very common, especially on forums, to share links or extensions. Some malicious links can lead to infection of user’s devices.
If we talk about phishing, smishing and malware attacks, the danger is not only hidden in emails. These can also be made through social media, chat platforms, game sites, phone calls and other online sources.
So, if you receive an unexpected link or attachment, you should be vigilant. Treat them with suspicion and always check if the sender is someone you know, better by other means than how you got the link or attachment.
– Use parental control: If the user is a minor, parents should use parental control apps. Even some video games already include it by default.
– Disable GPS and cover cameras: To avoid cyber espionage, it is necessary not to provide access to location-based (even less real-time) video games and to cover the camera of the device.
One of the fastest growing industries in recent years, along with cybersecurity, is video games and esports. And cybercriminals know it. Millions of users of all ages are potential victims of cyberattacks which can be very varied. The theft of names, addresses, credit cards and money, in addition to cyberbullying, grooming and sending malware, are among the most prominent.
Therefore, cybersecurity is an essential element when using online video games and eSports.
– Do not give too much information:
When you start talking to a person during the game, avoid giving out too much personal information, at least at first. The basics will show up at some point: age, profession, concerns, likes and dislikes. It’s best to talk about trivialities and find common ground to discuss them.
Another common form of online gaming scam is phishing, in which the criminal sends spam asking for personal information, such as bank details and identity, among other details that can be sold or used for fraudulent purposes. . Criminals may also try to impersonate people they know to appear more trustworthy, especially on mobile apps.
Just in case you want to share your data with unknown person then it is advised to check their basic details on Number. This site provides basic data about that person, such as their home and email address, contact details, social ties, family information, work history, and more.
– Use strong passwords:
Try to use passwords with diverse characters, with upper and lower case letters, symbols and numbers, and with more than eight characters. Thus, it is advisable to create your password 10 characters long and as complex as possible.
Also, you should remember to use a unique password for each of your online accounts. If you use the same email and password combination for all accounts, in case one of them is hacked, you should assume that all of them have been hacked. And above all, never share your passwords with anyone.
– Use MFA (multi-factor authentication):
Multi-factor authentication has become an important security measure in general. It is more secure for your games or other personal accounts, whether they are for work, school, university or your social networks, for example.
Double authentication is an additional layer of protection, it occurs after entering your username and the first password. It could be a code created by an app, a push notification that you need to accept, an actual key that you plug into your device, or something similar.
– Update the operating system, programs and applications:
Sometimes it is tedious to have to wait for the computer to finish updating its operating system, but it is essential to fix any errors that may be used by your unknown friends or online hackers. It is also highly recommended to activate automatic updates in all the applications that we can use on the mobile or on the PC so that we do not have to do it manually.
A final cybersecurity recommendation, not just when using video games but for any field, is to keep your devices up to date. You must also have an antivirus installed. Raising awareness among the youngest will also help them to make safety one of their priorities.